The job holder will be responsible for creating & implementing buying and product strategy and
tactical plans for assigned departments by ensuring that the departments purchase reflects the retail trends at best commercial value, thereby ensuring delivery of sales and profit targets for the
department. The job holder will also be responsible for ensuring smooth buying operations through effective product planning, negotiation with suppliers, adequate stock management as well as
effective team management for enabling the strategic goals of the department.
1. Buying & Product development
• Determines the buying requirements and formulates buying plan as per budget for the Womenswear Western wear – Dresses Category.
• Puts together monthly assortment guideline for the sourcing teams for procurement based on sales analysis and future trends and AP guidelines shared by planning team
• Negotiates prices in line with the desired level of margins and ensures delivery timelines with sourcing teams.
• Oversees and manages placement of orders based on the OTB plans and ensures merchandise is delivered as per the plan.
• Tracks and evaluates brand/category sales performance, market sales trends and competitor trading activities to identify critical business factors and proposed action plans to increase category sales
• Consolidates and analyses actual sales data and forecast in-season sales on a weekly, basis to drive sales & buying decisions.
• Identifies buying opportunities to source products and to ensure that business unit maintains its competitive edge.
• Analyses market & competition for both benchmarking value, price & product and apply this knowledge to make insightful buying decisions.
• Places re-orders as proposed by the merchandising team and communicate relevant information to the sourcing team
• Maintains high level of product knowledge, ensuring the product is procured within the acceptable standard norms of quality and fit
• Ensure the right representation of the category in terms of imagery & content ideas for the storefront
2. Vendor Management
• Develops an adequate vendor base for the concept through active scouting and negotiation / renegotiation.
• Builds and maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers and negotiate the best buy costs
• Works closely with sourcing teams to identify, evaluate and select appropriate vendor mix to achieve business objectives.
3. People Management
• Develops talent within the team by providing guidance, mentoring and coaching to achieve the defined goals.
Skills and Capabilities
• 10+ Years of experience – strong Product knowledge in related category/department
• Strong trend and customer understanding
• Advanced retail analytical skills
• Strong sourcing and range building skills
• Strong influencer and communicator with ability to interact within team and with multiple stakeholders across functions
• Negotiation and vendor management skills
• Innovative & critical thinking ability
• Ability to adapt to change and strategic thinking
• Ability to coach and guide team on goals, performance and growth